Saturday, May 25, 2013

I Can Watch This Over and Over

My first movie I can and have watched numerous times is Breakfast at Tiffanys. I can watch this movie two or three times a week and it will never get old for me. I first saw it my senior year of high school, and fell in love with it my first year of college. Holly Golightly is such a relateable character to me. She is this lost girl in New York City looking for money and her idea of love in all the wrong places. She is in the kindest of words, a gold digger.
Although she has her shady behavior with men, her character is completely lovable. She is frustrating at times, but even for an older movie, her character is easy to understand and relate to in any era I believe. A lot of her feelings and her characteristics are still extremely relative and comprehensive to a lot of women now.
She is simply a lost and scared girl. Her heart is genuinely warm, although her actions at times make her out to be a cold money hungry temptress. Her real warm hearted side comes into play when she meets someone who seems to challenge her views and doesn't simply bow down to her lifestyle. Although he is exactly like her, a gold digging man using a fortune of an older women to support him and further his career as an author.
It isn't until he meets her that he starts to really see the wrong in his way of living. He wants to make an honest living, and wants to find real love when he meets her. These characters are even today, modern. They just capture what it is really like to be a struggling young adult and the lengths some of us are willing to go to ensure their futures.
I can identify with Holly simply because I know exactly how it feels to be lost and scared in this world not knowing how on earth I am going to make it on my own. This character will always be relevant which is why this movie will never get old for me. No matter what era we are in her struggles and fears are the same fears everyone faces at one point in their lives or another.
You simply cannot live your life without these sorts of issues and fears which makes this movie a timeless classic. If someone cannot relate to either of the main characters then they are not living their life, or taking risks. I believe any age group can relate, whether you are a middle schooler looking for your place among cliques, a high schooler unsure of your future, a college student trying to get a degree and earn a living, a middle age person struggling with all the obstacles life has to throw you, or an elderly person unsure of their life's accomplishments. The theme of the movie is universal, and fitting to all ages.
It is a simple movie, with simple people living their lives as best as they can in their moments of confusion, love, and fear. The simplicity of the relationships is so realistic and just honest that I wont ever get tired of watching this movie no matter how many times I watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment